Updated: Apr 13
Over the past 6-8 months my interest in hair loss has grown (no pun intended). It surprised me how many people were concerned about losing their hair. In the US an estimated $3.5 billion was spent annually on hair loss treatments – many of which are not effective (1). As someone who never had thick, luxurious locks, I have an intimate understanding of what it means for women and men who might feel uncomfortable with their styling choices or frustrated with their treatment options. I am increasing the place that treatment of hair loss has in my practice.
I can’t cover everything there is to know about hair loss and why it occurs, nor can I cover all the possible treatments in a single blog. Provided below are two links to fabulous hair loss pages on the AAD website (American Association of Dermatology).
What I can do is let you know that you’re going to be hearing more from me about hair loss. And if it’s a concern for you, I encourage you to make an appointment so we can talk about the path and some options. A few facts:
- Male pattern baldness (MPB) accounts for more than 95% of hair loss in men. By the age of thirty-five two-thirds of American men will experience some degree of appreciable hair loss (1)
- Women actually make up forty percent of American hair loss sufferers (1)
What’s New at YHCD?
Hair Loss Treatments We Love
As it relates to hair loss, we have several exciting new things to report, I’ve listed a few of them below:
1) I am partnering with my husband, concierge Internist, Dr. Corey Howard. We will be co-treating patients. He focuses on the hormonal, nutrition and wellness aspects of care, while I focus on the cosmetic treatment.
2) We added Nutrafol supplements to our in-office offering. Nutrafol is the #1 dermatologist recommended supplement for addressing hair loss. I and several of my staff and patients can personally attest to its efficacy.
3) PRP scalp injections are getting even better. After research at the Paris IMCAS (International Masters Course on Aging Science) Corey and I were very impressed by the PRP kit offered through Arthrex. We will be reviewing that kit along with another FDA-cleared kit from Crown Aesthetics to see which of the two gives us the best PRP.
4) Scalp microneedling and scalp super-cleansing are available in our Spa using FDA-cleared SkinPen (PRP can be added) and HydfraFacial’s Keravive scalp cleanse and treatment series.
5) Celluma red LED light for hair growth can be combined to treat not only the affected area, but surrounding areas.
6) After evaluating different options, we selected the RevitaLash (RL) Volume Enhancing Foam which keeps hair in the androgen (growth stage) longer and the RL Shampoo and Conditioner. Here again we found strong data and had successful trials with myself and my staff.
You can see that I and my team are excited to take treatment of hair loss to the next level for our patients. Look for more from us on this topic in the future along with some before and after pics. Please call if you would like to schedule a hair loss consultation with me 239-529-DERM (3376). I hope to see you soon.