In cosmetic medicine it’s common for patients and providers to focus on the product, rather than the result. At Yag-Howard Cosmetic Dermatology (YHCD), we maintain a conscious focus on delivering the change you would like to see. We allow your goals (the destination) to guide the treatment.
How Do I Start?
Many patients are unsure where to start, some are overwhelmed by too much information, or feel there are too many areas they would like to improve. We generally ask patients to identify a single area they most want to change: under-eye area, jowls, wrinkles and lines, drooping mouth, etc. By focusing our efforts our patients achieve their goals more quickly, giving them confidence to take the next step. Because many treatments are synergistic, patients see improvements in the surrounding areas even while we maintain our focus on the area of concern. Below are a two examples of a targeted treatment with synergist, full-face improvements.
Examples: Focus is Under-eye Area:
We may suggest a chemical peel, under-eye filler, specialized eye-cream and a retin.
- A chemical peel can be used on the entire face, including the under-eyes, or it may be used just under the eyes. This will remove the top layer of dull, dry skin and reveal younger, more plump cells – helping to diminish crepey texture. Depending on the type of peel and your skin’s response, you may need a single peel, or a series of peels.
- Under-eye filler is a very localized solution that fills in the dark, shadowy valley just below the eye and above the cheek bone. Under-eye filler usually requires only one syringe and can last for a very long time due to the limited movement of the muscles in that area. Hyaluronic Acid (HA) fillers have the added benefit of hydrating the skin, so under-eye skin improves while dark shadows are minimized.
- Eye creams have a variety of purposes, including thickening skin, lightening dark circles, improving circulation, etc. We offer three here at YHCD and will recommend the one that best targets your particular under-eye issue.
- If not already using a retinol (or retinoid), we will suggest one for nighttime use. By using a retin product you will speed up your cell turn-over, bringing fresh, plump, healthy cells to the surface. This creates a smoother, less-wrinkled, even-toned appearance over your entire face (and neck).
In this example, we achieve improvement in the under-eye area, but we’ve also improved the condition and appearance of the entire face.
Focus is Heavy Jowls:
We may suggest a series of Ellacor Micro-coring treatments along with SkinPen microneedling and a moisturizer or peptide serum.
- Ellacor Micro-coring removes tiny cores of skin in the lower face, usually around 8% of the treated area. Two treatments are recommended to achieve a reduction of 15%-18% of saggy skin. Not only does Ellacor remove excess skin, it tightens, lifts, and firms due to collagen and elastin formed during healing.
- SkinPen helps resolve fine lines on the skin surface while continuing to stimulate collagen formation. Ideally, SkinPen microneedling is performed semi-annually on the face, neck and chest. This schedule aligns with your body’s cycle for forming collagen.
- Moisturizers like SkinBetter's Trio or Alto Defense ensure the new and healing cells do not prematurely dry out, becoming flattened and dull.
- Once fully healed from Ellacor and SkinPen, an exfoliant or peptide serum may be added to boost cell-turnover.
In this example, we achieved significant tightening of the jowl and jawline, while improving overall skin condition, and cellular turnover.
Cosmetic and aesthetic service are the epitome of synergy with one treatment often supporting another. By starting with the destination in mind, we ensure that you are pleased, and proud of your results – while helping you to find and adopt new skin health routines that will make a tremendous difference over time. So, don’t worry about how to start – that’s what our complimentary consultations are for! We would love to see you and develop a plan that gives you the results you want in a timeline and budget that suits you. Please click to schedule online or call us at 239-529-DERM(3376). We hope to see you soon!